Wednesday, January 28, 2009
This is absolutely the best rice dish I have ever had!!! It's an explosion of flavor in the mouth that is simply to die for. With a mixture of brown rice and whole grains, fresh produce, and an exotic twist this will be a crowd favorite for any event. Hope you enjoy!
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions, chopped
3 peppers (1 red, green, and yellow), chopped
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 cups uncooked brown rice and whole grain mix, washed
4 cups vegetable stock
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 dash of saffron (don't go overboard, a little goes a long way!)
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Add onions and peppers and saute until translucent. (about 5 minutes) Add garlic and continue sauteing for another minute, or until aromatic.
2. Stir in rice and stir until just coated with the oils. Add dash of saffron and saute for a quick minute.
3. Put mixture into rice cooker. Add remainder of ingredients and stir well. (don't forget the extra tablespoon of olive oil)
4. Cover and let cook until creamy and thoroughly cooked.
5. Serve immediately and enjoy.
I am not a big fan of asparagus, but have to admit anything wrapped in bacon has to be good.lol What makes this recipe fabulous is the fact that you are saving yourself from eating a load of calories and fat by subbing the regular bacon with turkey bacon. This is a quick and simple recipe. Hope you enjoy it!!
9 Fresh asparagus, washed
9 Turkey Bacon Strips
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Coarse Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Pre-heat oven to 500F degrees
2. Cut end tip of asparagus (about and inch), and discard
3. Wrap a strip of turkey bacon around asparagus and place on roasting pan
4. Drizzle olive oil over asparagus just enough to coat. Sprinkle salt & pepper to taste.
4. Bake for 10-12 minutes
5. Serve immediately!
Hope you enjoy!!!