Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Low Carb Taco Shell's

Taco's are one of my favorite things to eat, but it's not always the healthiest option. Especially the taco shell. Well if you haven't figured it out already, I love to experiment. I wanted a way to have tacos without all the excess fat and carbs. So I put on my mad scientist cap and headed to the kitchen. In the end they tasted soo yummy. It ended up being more like a soft taco then a crunchy taco,but a taco is a taco. I'm sure they would have been more stable had I let them hang longer, but the husband was way to hungry to wait. lol

Well here you go, enjoy!!

Ingredients:

I package 2% milk Mexican blend cheese
3 eggs (could substitute with egg whites)
2 medium zucchini
dash of salt


Instructions:

Pre-heat oven 450 Degrees F.

1. Wash and dry zucchini, then cut ends off and discard.

2. In a bowl shred zucchini(if there is extra water from the zucchini make sure to drain)


3. Mix package of cheese, dash of salt, and eggs into the shredded zucchini. Mix until well blended, add extra cheese if necessary to create thick mix.


4. Grease 2 cookie sheets with butter or spray with Pam.
5. Fill 1/2 cup measuring cup with mixture, make sure it's compressed.


6. Flip onto greased sheets and with flat side of spoon press gently down until you have formed circles. About 6 inches.






7. Place into preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until tops are brown.
8. With a plastic spatula CAREFULLY flip shells and bake for another 5-6 minutes. If it slightly falls apart, finish flipping, patch it up with a little cheese, and pat down until it looks like a circle a again.
9. When cool enough to handle remove with plastic spatula. Hang them for a few hours, until well formed. I suggest anywhere between 4-6 hours. ( I didn't wait long enough so it didn't have a chance to set)


Final Product: (Please forgive the cheap plates)



Enjoy!!!

No comments: