Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Semi-Homemade Guava and Cheese

Ever since I found La Cubanita sugar free guava paste, I've been trying to think of different things I could make with it. So while at the Publix I picked up a package of my favorite guava, and when I made a 180 degree turn I saw it.....cream cheese, then slightly to my left...reduced fat crescent rolls. It was like a light bulb went off and I thought, "hhhhm guava....cream cheese......and crescent rolls....genious"! and that's how I came up with my semi-homemade guava and cheese pastry. These are so good, you'll be having dreams about them. lol I hope you enjoy them!! oh and did I forget to mention they are SUPER easy to make. Just wanted to add that little note. ;-)

Ingredients:

1 package of Cubanita Sugar Free Guava Paste (cut into 8 equal strips)
1 small package of fat free cream cheese
1 1/2 tablespoons of Splenda
1 package of reduced fat crescent rolls (I'm sure the whole wheat biscuits would be just as good)
1 egg
2 teaspoons of Splenda or you can even try the new truvia



Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

1. Put cream cheese and 1 1/2 tablespoons of Splenda into mixer. Mix on high for 1 minute or until it looks nice and airy.



2. Place a piece of parchment paper on the cookie sheet.

3. Roll out dough individually. Then in each roll spread 1 tbls of cream cheese onto dough, then place a strip of guava. Roll dough and pinch ends shut so that nothing oozes out during baking.




4. Beat egg and 2 tsp of water.



5. With a brush (or in my case a napkin) lightly brush top of pastry with egg wash.



6. Sprinkle remaining Splenda over pastries, and enter into pre-heated oven.



7. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until completely baked and golden brown.



8. Place on cooling rack for at least 10 minutes. (I know they smell and look good, but if you bite into them too early you WILL get burned. Trust me been there done that. hehe)
Finished Product:


Enjoy!!!

No comments: