My friend Jen (southmiamijen) was nice enough to share her recipe for mashed potatoes. I believe the first time I saw this recipe was two years ago, and have loved it ever since. Thanks Jen!! There isn't too many ways this recipe can be converted to being "healthy", but I made my best attempt without sacrificing the flavor. For the original recipe please go to Manchego Smashed Potatoes .
· 4 pounds baby red-skinned or baby Yukon gold potatoes
· 4 tablespoons light butter, cut into small pieces
· 3/4-1 cup reduced fat milk or non fat half and half
· 2 1/2 cups shredded Manchego cheese, about 3/4-1 pound of cheese
· salt and black pepper
1. Halve large potatoes; small ones can be left whole. Place potatoes in a deep pot, cover with water. Place a lid on potatoes and bring them up to a boil. Uncover, salt the water and cook until tender, 12-15 minutes.
2. Drain potatoes and add back to the hot pot. Allow heat of pot to remove some excess liquid potatoes have.
3. Add butter, milk or cream and cheese and smash the potatoes to desired consistency.
4. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.