Friday, November 21, 2008

Wild Mushroom Quinoa Stuffing

This, to me, was the biggest challenge yet for thanksgiving. I was thinking of making quinoa stuffing, but couldn't seem to find any good recipes, until I stumbled upon this one. I was set on making a bread free stuffing. So that meant no croutons, regular bread, cornbread, or anything else like it. The majority of the recipes out there still call for a little bread, and I'm sorry but I refuse to settle. Which is why I am so thankful I found this recipe. It just sounds so savory and yummy. I will still be making a generic stove top stuffing for those people in the house who want it. This is just something I want to make for me, I wanted a stuffing that was healthy without giving up flavor. Hope you enjoy it. (Press on this link for direct access to recipe: Wild Mushroom Quinoa Stuffing )

Ingredients

1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup dried porcini mushrooms
8 crimini mushrooms (sliced)
2 teaspoon fresh rosemary (minced)
1 clove garlic (minced)
1/4 cup onion (small dice)
2 tablespoons parsley (minced

Instructions

1. Soak porcini mushrooms in very hot water for 30 minutes. Drain and reserve 1/2 C of soaking liquid. Roughly chop mushrooms.

2. In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat. Sauté crimini mushrooms until lightly browned (about 3 minutes). Remove and set aside.

3. Heat another tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat and sauté onion and garlic with rosemary until softened (about 1-2 minutes).

4. Add quinoa and sauté 1 minute. Add broth, porcini mushrooms, and reserved soaking liquid and bring to a boil.

5. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until all liquid is absorbed (about 15 minutes). Add sautéed crimini mushrooms during the last 2 minutes of cooking.

6. Remove from heat and stir in parsley.

Makes 8 servings.


Enjoy!!!

No comments: