This will take the place of the usual green bean casserole. I really hope my family can cope with something that is so blatantly healthy. lol (recipe from Susan Leach's book)
· 1 small onion, diced
· 1 teaspoon olive oil
· 1/4 pound smoked turkey, cut from a wing or drumstick
· 1 teaspoon Cajun or Creole seasoning
· 2 pounds green beans (fresh or frozen)
· Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Sauté the onion in the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat until soft.
2. Add the smoked turkey, Cajun seasoning, and green beans, cover with water. Bring the beans to a boil, set lid on the pan slightly open, lower heat, and simmer till tender and liquid is almost gone. (40 minutes for fresh beans and follow cooking time for frozen)
3. Season with salt and pepper.